Seasonal Looks: From Sweater Coats & Dresses to Motorcycle Jackets & Peg-leg Pants
Women’s fashion this fall is about the pared-down chic of sweater dresses and coats, tie-up blouses, tapered pants and top-handled bags.
Familiarize yourself with the key looks for fall winter 2017. Update your wardrobe with the more sedate styles if you want your outfits to transcend seasons.
This season is about pared-down chic with sleek form-fitting dresses or a simple sweater dress. Must-have looks include a sweater coat worn with long slouchy boots and accessorized with a top-handled bag. For the more adventurous, throw a feminine motorcycle jacket over a printed dress or wear this season’s new look peg-leg pants, cropped at the ankle.
Fall Fashion Trends for 2017
Here are 10 of the best of this season’s stylish new looks:
- This is the season of the sweater dress or coat. Choose one that is not too bulky so that it flatters your shape rather than swamps it. Choose from military styles, double and single-breasted or traditional wrap-around.
- For simple chic, you can’t beat a sweater dress. The look is stylish and chic. For a more on-trend look, team it with knee-length slouchy boots and a wide belt.
- Let this season’s bold bejeweled necklines speak for themselves. Leave the chunky necklaces and earrings and home to avoid overkill.
- Invest in a feminine motorcycle jacket which you can throw over dresses as well as pants, to toughen up a look. These never go out of style and are stylish for any age-group, provided you don’t go too overboard with zips and high-fashion studs.
- A relaxed jacket, a boxy loose jacket, cropped or waist-length for pulling over dresses and jeans. If it’s a blazer style then roll up or scrunch up sleeves for an even more casual look.
- Tie-up blouses — an updated version of the pussy-bow blouse. Forget high tie-necks, this tie up blouse has a lower neckline with the loose ties worn on the side, rather than directly under the neck.
- New season — new trouser style. Peg-leg pants are big this fall. These are cropped 7/8th length versions which finish just above the ankle. Wear these if you dare — the pleated detail and tapered legs can give the illusion of shortening the body and making waist and hips look larger. Cigarette pants teamed with a relaxed jacket or sweater dress is a more slimming look.
- Pare-down highly printed dresses and tops with block-color turtlenecks, worn underneath. This sharpens the look and makes it more sophisticated. If you don’t like prints but want to be fashion-forward then update a little-black-dress with this fall’s fashionable lace. This is one look that never really dates, but has appeared back on the runways in full force this season, especially Prada.
- There is a distinct military feel to this fall’s fashion, with coats, dresses, and blouses embellished with military flogging and brass buttons. You’ll even find military detailing on sweater coats.
- Jewel tones are the colors of the season with berry hues, with russets, purples, and plums. These dark, sophisticated shades give a welcome shot or color to a winter wardrobe and are slimming for most figures too. These rich colors can be worn at any age, and suit almost all skin tones.
Fashion Accessories for Fall
There are also a number of distinct fashion accessory trends this fall, from chunky necklaces to silk scarves to snoods. The hottest seasonal style in It-bags is a structured or slouchy top-handled bag. Carry one in the crook on your arm for that celebrity A-luster look.